Pages

Ads 468x60px

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Weaving on Clay Looms - 4th grade

This is a lesson I have been wanting to try for a few years - last year I got all the supplies to get the kiln up and running - so, here we go!  In 3rd grade students create a weaving, you can see samples CLICK HERE! This year the 4th grade students created a clay loom ~ here are some samples of them starting the weaving.  Students were so excited to create this project that combines a skill they were familiar with and something new.  Interestingly enough, weaving must be the thing to do right now because Phyl over at There's a Dragon in my Art Room just posted 3 - Wonderful, Wacky Weaving Projects!   Here is a link to one of my favorite videos to show students when we start weaving - CLICK HERE!







9 comments:

Christie - Fine Lines said...

What a clever idea -- I love the looms!! Will you be showing how the kids made them??

Kristyn DeMint said...

Susan, I really like the clay looms. Very ambitious! Do the students tie knots on the back of the loom to keep the warp strings secure? I also checked out the 3rd grade weavingS, very nice!

Susan Bivona, Art Teacher said...

Kristyn - I tied the first knot for the students. Then they ran the string up to the first hole, down through that hole, up through the hole next to it, down to the next hole, up through the hole next to it. All the strings should lay on top of the clay loom.

It took 2 (50 minute) classes to make the looms. Students rolled out slabs and added texture with different objects. I provided a tracer for the rectangle opening and a tracer for where the holes should go. The cut out the opeing, and used the blunt end of a wooden pin tool to make the holes. I allowed them to dry for 3 - 4 day and fired them. During the next class they glazed them. During the 3rd class they warped the looms and started weaving. I just did a quick review on the weaving because the students knew how to from last year.

Phyl said...

Wow, Susan, what an original idea! I don't have a kiln, but the new high school art teacher has offered to let me use hers and we're all in one building so maybe next year I'll order a little "real" clay.

One thought/question: To me, these will look beautiful hanging on a wall. Do you have a way to make them "hang-able"?

Susan Bivona, Art Teacher said...

Yes, I did make them "hangable", I put an extra hole that they can be hung from!

Unknown said...

They are sooo Cool! What an awesome idea. I've always thought of putting holes in clay to incorporate some woven stuff into my own pottery. Love it!

Vicki@MorePowerfulBeyondMeasure said...

Wonderful! I love the looms! There's times I wish I taught the older kids. I know your students learned so much from this project.

Mrs. Hahn said...

These are really nice! I like them a lot! I will file this one away for next year!

Mollie Morrison said...

wonderful project!!!

 

Sample text

Sample Text