Pages

Ads 468x60px

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Self-Portrait Maps inspired by Aaron Meshon

Jennifer
Erin
5th grade just completed these amazing Self Portrait Maps - I first saw this lesson HERE on the BLOG Quest Artists and you can see MORE HERE!  Thanks Ruth Lee at Quest Artists, I was introduced to the artist Aaron Meshon! As soon as I saw the lesson & Aaron Meshon's illustrations I just knew it would be a hit for my 5th grade students - and it was!  So, to begin we looked at Aaron Meshon's artwork. Before the students actually started to draw - I had them fill out a form, that I developed, of "Favorite Things", that gave them a starting place.  I also asked the students to develop a name for their "state" that incorporates their name, they really loved this part and came up with some very creative names.   Next, students worked out their designs in their sketchbooks. When the designs were complete students went on to their final copy (11X17 white drawing paper).  Drawings were completed in pencil first and then students traced over with a fine point Sharpie.  Color was added with colored pencil and Crayola Color Sticks.  Here are some samples but if you would like to see ALL of them check out my ARTSONIA GALLERY HERE!   You might also want to pay special attention to the Artist Statements that the students wrote to go with them.  It is so interesting to read what the students think about their creations.  Enjoy!
Vaed

James

Andrea

5 comments:

Phyl said...

I love this! I can see how the kids would really enjoy it, too.

Hannah- Art.Paper.Scissors.Glue! said...

Oooh I love this! I always do an "identity" lesson every quarter when I get a new batch of students.. this would be a great idea!

Check out my blog, http://art-paper-scissors.blogspot.com... new to the blogging world and would love some feedback!

Ruth Lee said...

how cool!!! They look great! Aaron Meshon's work is a fun inspiration for young artists.

aaron said...

WOW! Thanks guys for liking my work! These maps are awesome and I might be out of a job soon! :)

my best, aaron meshon

jessica Johnston said...

I love this new twist on the self portrait. it is always a struggle to get the students to buy into drawing themselves. This incorporates who they are as well and I think that is important in todays society that it isn't just about what we look like! Check out my blog smartypantsjohnston.blogspot.com
Jessica

 

Sample text

Sample Text